This week I tried something new, switching out my usual music listening sessions to try an audio book instead. I know people who solely listen to audiobooks and it was sparking my curiosity. Naturally, the first book I tried had to be THE-Book-of-The-Last-Two-Weeks, ‘Go Set a Watchman’ by Harper Lee. I rather enjoyed this audio book experience, which is voiced by Reece Witherspoon in her soothing, Southern twang (something else can be said about the actual book though ?). But I found it very easy to get distracted and then forget what was going on, so I had to keep going back to re-listen to parts I missed. I’m curious to know…Do you prefer audiobooks over reading? Did you enjoy ‘Go Set a Watchman’? – Jenn
On our radar this week:
- On rainy days like these, staying in and having a Netflix marathon makes me feel less guilty. Here’s a list of the best movies of 2015 (list includes indies, blockbusters & foreign films) so far to keep you company. (Vulture)
- Here’s how Brian Phillips built one of fashion’s most successful PR firms straight out of college. Yep, living everyone’s dream of graduating and going straight into being his own boss. Hint: The power is all in your network. (Fashionista)
- Something to add to your weekly reads – a new blog curates and showcases the most interesting possessions of the world’s most interesting people. There’s a ‘pillow mogul’, ‘professional wildman’, ‘youtuber’ and more. (Minimums)
- Soon we’ll all be perfect looking individuals with pristine personalities, living until we’re 1000, totally fit and very very rich. We now have the power to quickly and easily edit DNA to the extent that it could solve world hunger, eliminate disease and more. (Wired) #LongRead
- Everything I am afraid might happen if I ask new acquaintances to get coffee. The title of this light humorous read that couldn’t be more true. (The New Yorker)
- These folks are creating customized gelato flavours by analyzing your social media personality. It’s real, I swear. (Talenti Gelato)
- It’s travel season and here’s a handy guide on how much you should tip around the world. (Domaine)
- Whoever said print was dead is WRONG. Physical book sales are still going strong and independent magazines are stronger than ever, with new ones popping up every month (BoF calls it a “print renaissance”). Ever wanted to fulfill some college dream and start one of your own? Here’s how they’re funded and you’ll be pleased to know it’s totally feasible and self-sufficient. (Business of Fashion)
Please send photos of your most interesting possessions, independent magazine ideas, and gelato creations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our snapshot this week is of a beautiful bunch of flowers from Bloom & Wild received through my letterbox as a surprise from my friend.